Thursday, December 13, 2007

Mid-Century Modern


I don't usually feature houses in Chappaqua, but this one is too cool to pass up. Located just under two miles south of the Croton Reservoir, and near the Yorktown border, the 1955 home exudes modern flair. Features such as the metal staircase, flat roof, and open layout speak to the house's mid-century provenance, and the many large windows create a great flow between inside and out. The 4 bedroom, 3 bath house is large at 3,500 square feet and the lovely 2 acre property features nice landscaping. For the Chappaqua location, the price seems remarkably reasonable--which is probably due in part to the fact that not everyone loves modern. But for those of us who do, this house looks pretty hot. $949,000
Prudential Holmes and Kennedy, Google Map

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this has been for sale forever...plus check out the taxes

Anonymous said...

Good point--the taxes are an astronomical $23,000. As for it's having been on the market forever, I do admit that Chappaqua is not one of the towns that I regularly track. Thanks for the information.

But I still think that the house is remarkably cool and noteworthy.

Anonymous said...

The taxes are a deal breaker for me. That's 10,000 a year over what I budgeted. The house does look great. There aren't that many real 50's modern houses around here.

Anonymous said...

I love this house, and I couldn't find the taxes on your site or the listing site, so it was good to see them posted in the Comments section. $23,000...ouch! Who can afford such taxes on top of a mortgage?
Are there any similar modern houses anywhere that has lower taxes?

Anonymous said...

6:46, The only similar listing I know of in the area is the listing I featured on June 14 (use the search function for "Early Modern"). It is a 1936 International Style house in Croton. The price has been reduced by $100,000, to $1,099,000. The taxes are also quite high at $17,000.