Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Benefits of a Croton Commute

In my four years of commuting daily from the Croton-Harmon station to Grand Central, I have had 3 delays (all due to severe weather). Day in and day out, the Metro-North trains leave on time and arrive on time. And the view of the Hudson never fails to amaze me. But tonight Grand Central closed for a short time due to the deadly steam pipe explosion. I hadn't left work yet, so I walked over to Penn Station and caught the Amtrak to Croton-Harmon. It cost $25.00, but it was worth it to avoid the hassles and get home on time. (By the time I arrived, Metro-North was running on schedule.) As great as Metro-North is, I am thrilled to always have Amtrak as an emergency backup. (Caveat: The photo is of a Metro-North train near Coldspring.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How long is the commute?

Northern Westchester Home said...

The commute from Grand Central is 40 minutes on the express trains. Croton is hub, so there are more trains to and from the station than from most.